Social media, and twitter in particular, provides the unique opportunity to tune into the voices of leaders across the world for commentary on global events, trends and issues.
Each of the following twitter feeds are the voices of key individuals and organizations involved in the healthcare policy transformation, significant current events and the exciting debates defining the future of the healthcare industry. As social media leaders, they make up the foundation for the health IT information network on the Web and are shaping the future of health IT for all of those involved. Follow what these leaders are saying and join in on their conversations:
- @HIMSS – HIMSS (or Healthcare Information and Management Systems Society) is a non-profit membership organization dedicated on “providing global leadership for the optimal use of information technology (IT) and management systems for the betterment of healthcare.” @HIMSS currently has over 5,000 followers.
- @HL7 – HL7 International (or Health Level 7) is an international not-for-profit organization, “ANSI-accredited standards developing organization dedicated to providing a comprehensive framework and related standards for the exchange, integration, sharing, and retrieval of electronic health information that supports clinical practice and the management, delivery and evaluation of health services.”
- @HITECHActHelp – The HITECH Act and Meaningful Use guidelines have stirred up a significant amount of news recently, and most likely will continue to do so as the policies are implemented and enforced. @HITECHActHelp provides regular updates on this Act and how it affects those involved within the health IT industry.
- @Histalk and @IngaHIStalk – HISTALK is an anonymous social media user who provides insight and opinion on current events in the industry. HISTALK, and his assistant Inga, regularly interview leaders in the industry, sponsor guest bloggers and tweet about current events. Although a self-proclaimed “cynic,” HIStalk provides a valuable perspective for those interested in HIT.
- @kevinmd – Kevin Pho, M.D. holds an acclaimed social media presence within the healthcare community and has been recognized for his “punchy, prolific” healthcare insights by multiple major media outlets including The Wall Street Journal and The New York Times. @kevinmd provides daily commentary chronicling America’s healthcare system from a providers’ perspective.
- @ahier – Brian Ahier is an active HIS thought leader in the healthcare community and currently has approximately 4,500 followers on twitter. He provides insights on health IT, healthcare reform and HITECH in addition to other broad technological advancements.
- @SIIM_Tweets – SIIM (or The Society for Imaging Informatics in Medicine) is an organization dedicated to advancing the health IT industry through education and research. They are widely recognized within the healthcare IT and radiology industry for their SIIM Annual Meeting held each summer.
- @ehrandhit – This twitter feed stems from the blog EMR and HIPAA that is dedicated to providing aggregated EMR, HER and HIT related content. @ehrandhit is recognized for providing information on health IT integration, HITECH and Meaningful Use.
- @motorcycle_guy – Keith W. Boone is a thought leader on healthcare standards. He is the author of the Healthcare Standards blog that frequently reflects on current events in healthcare IT. Common topic threads are ARRA, CCD, HITECH, HL7 and healthcare integration.
- @MedicalQuack – Barbara Duck, a healthcare IT consultant from Orange County, is a leading voice in the healthcare IT social media community. She is the author of one of the most popular health IT blogs online, The Medical Quack, and currently has over 3,000 followers on twitter.
Feel free to follow us on twitter @healthstandards for updates on HL7 standards and other health IT information, and Corepoint Health @corepointhealth for more information on interface engines and healthcare integration.
Who do you follow on twitter for news on healthcare IT?