After working on EMR interfaces to the referring community for a couple of years now, one of the customers that I worked with is an independent imaging center, Austin Radiological Association, came up with the following steps to EMR interfacing.
You may find the following steps helpful as you compare, or construct, your own EMR interface.
- Negotiate Terms: Costs? Who Pays?
- Sign Business Confidentiality Agreements
- Understand Goals and Workflow
- Agree on Architecture
- Agree on Support Structure: Boundaries and Escalation
- Exchange Specifications and Sample Messages
- Design and Build Test Interfaces
- Production Deployment
- Production Acceptance
- Referring Physician Training, as needed