Last June, we published the Top 10 Twitter Feeds to Follow for News on Healthcare IT. The health IT online community has grown substantially over the last 6 months. In light of that growth, we’d like to refresh the list with the official top #HITsm (health IT social media) accounts of the year.
Each of the following Twitter feeds comprise significant voices – individuals and organizations – involved in the development of and commentary on healthcare standards, policy, current events and debates that are defining the future of the healthcare IT industry. As social media leaders, they make up the foundation for the health IT information network on the Web and are shaping the future of health IT for all of those involved, from patients to providers and all in between.
HL7 Standards extended the opportunity to readers to submit nominations for the awards earlier this week. They were asked to consider nominees based on the following characteristics. Recipients of the 2010 #HITsm Award should:
- Understand the health IT community and actively participate in healthcare IT conversations using social media tools.
- Create and/or republish (RTs) quality and relevant content.
- Engage with a noteworthy network of health care and health IT professionals and organizations.
- Encourage health IT professionals to engage in social media discussions.
*Note: Due to the overwhelming interest in the awards and exciting number of eligible accounts, we have limited recipients to those with a Klout score of 40 or higher. Recipient Klout scores were collected on December 16, 2010.
Without further ado, the 2010 #HITsm Awards go to… (*drumroll, please*)
Top Individual #HITsm Contributors:
- @ej_butler (Klout 71)
- Twitter Bio: These are my tweets. Interested in Healthcare IT, Leadership, Organizational Change, Corporate Branding, Innovation, Agile Methods, Social Media & Coffee
- Blog: N/A
- @ahier (Klout 70)
- Twitter Bio: Passionate about healthcare, technology and government 2.0
- Blog: http://www.ahier.blogspot.com/
- @marxists (Klout 70)
- Twitter Bio: crazy about julie, tango and work, all encased by desire for God
- Blog: http://histalk2.com/category/ed-marx/
- @janicemccallum (Klout 54)
- Twitter Bio: Digital publishing expert and product strategist; focused on healthcare info (data analytics, research info, patient education, infodemiology). Tennis player.
- Blog: http://www.healthcontentadvisors.com/blog/
- @motorcycle_guy (Klout 52)
- Twitter Bio: Patient, Healthcare Standards Geek
- Blog: http://motorcycleguy.blogspot.com/
- @john_chilmark (Klout 51)
- Twitter Bio: IT analyst focusing on consumer-facing HIT. Fanatic cyclist, skier, happiest outdoors
- Blog: http://chilmarkresearch.com/
- @HITstrategy (Klout 45)
- Twitter Bio: Visionary, Passionate Health-Sciences IT Innovation Evangelist & Author – ‘Health-Sciences Strategy’ Blog. Opinions here are my own.
- Blog: http://www.healthsciencestrategy.com/
- @CandidCIO (Klout 44)
- Twitter Bio: Healthcare CIO, Ministry and Affinity. Technology lover. Runner.
- Blog: http://candidcio.com/
- @jimtate (Klout 43)
- Twitter Bio: PHR, EHR, Health 2.0, China, CCHIT, eHealth, Asheville, EHR Certification, Meaningful Use
- Blog: http://www.emradvocate.com/
- @richelmore (Klout 40)
- Twitter Bio: Healthcare Technology News tracks tech, policy, economics, regulatory, and quality.
- Blog: http://news.avancehealth.com/
Top Organizational #HITsm Contributors:
- @HITNewsTweet (Klout 62)
- Twitter Bio: Healthcare IT News in delicious bite-sized morsels.
- Blog: http://www.healthcareitnews.com/
- @HITpol (Klout 58)
- Twitter Bio: Health IT Policy News and Updates
- Blog: N/A
- @ONC_HealthIT (Klout 55)
- Twitter Bio: Health IT Policy News and Updates
- Blog: http://healthit.hhs.gov/blog/onc/
- @HITExchange (Klout 52)
- Twitter Bio: The Health IT Exchange community provides HIT professionals the answers they need from people in the know. Join the conversation! Share. Learn. Connect.
- Blog: http://searchhealthit.techtarget.com/healthitexchange/itanswers/
- @HL7 (Klout 48)
- Twitter Bio: The world-wide most widely implemented Healthcare Computing Systems Interoperability Standard. Follow for Updates!
- Blog: http://www.hl7.org/
- @HSPH_CCPE (Klout 47)
- Twitter Bio: Harvard School of Public Health Center for Continuing Professional Education (CCPE) prepares health care professionals for new levels of leadership and success.
- Blog: https://ccpe.sph.harvard.edu/
- @HIMSS (Klout 47)
- Twitter Bio: HIMSS leads best use of IT/management systems for the betterment of healthcare: EMRs, Standards, Interoperability. Manager: Cesar Torres
- Blog: http://blog.himss.org/
- @CMIOmagazine (Klout 47)
- Twitter Bio: News & information for CMIOs, healthcare IT physicians and executives. Interoperability & connectivity, meaningful use, EMRs, and everything HIT.
- Blog: http://www.cmio.net/
- @HealthImaging (Klout 42)
- Twitter Bio: Health Imaging & IT | Images, Information & Knowledge Across the Enterprise
- Blog: http://www.healthimaging.com
Congratulations again to all of the 2010 Top #HITsm Contributors!
The health care industry is changing dramatically, and social media provides the opportunity for clinical and technical professionals to discuss these changes, interact with key decision makers and influence the outcomes.
Moving forward, this post will act as a resource for health IT professionals joining the conversations taking place online. Moreover, this post is an additional resource and an opportunity for those currently facilitating the health IT conversations in social media to expand their network and connect with other leaders in the industry.
*Note: For those individuals and organizations recognized as top contributors, please feel free to use the award graphic attached to this post on your own website and link to this post for your readers’ information and reference. If you would like a higher quality graphic for your site, please email email@example.com.