One of the scariest things about being a patient is not knowing what’s happening. Patient advocate, writer, artist and blogger Regina Holliday does what she can to help patients understand their conditions and what is happening to them. She has a special place in her heart for patients with learning disabilities, language barriers, and other issues that make it difficult for them to understand their conditions — and she works tirelessly to help them gain access to their vital patient records that just may save their lives.
As today’s guest, Regina talks about her projects, medical conferences, her books, and her medical hot topics. She’s passionate about art, writing, and, as always, helping patients and their providers communicate well to improve patient outcomes and the way they feel throughout their treatment and beyond.
Some of the topics that you’ll hear about today include:
- The origins of the Cinderblocks conference: Why it was started and how they decided where to hold it.
- What’s coming up for the 2017 Cinderblocks conference
- How the Walking Gallery came to be and the significance of the painted jackets.
- One of the stories that touched Regina, which is now portrayed on one of the painted jackets.
- How to join Walking Gallery.
- The process of writing and publishing her memoir, The Writing on the Wall.
- The medical topics that are on Regina’s radar in terms of the need to create awareness.
Links and Resources:
- Regina on Twitter
- Regina on LinkedIn
- Regina on Facebook
- Regina on Pinterest
- Regina’s blog
- Health 2.0
- Cleveland Clinic Patient Experience
- The Walking Gallery
- Blog post on how to join the Walking Gallery
- The Writing on the Wall
- Our sponsor, Corepoint Health
If you’ve enjoyed today’s podcast, please subscribe on iTunes!
Tweetable quotes from Regina:Everyone acts like everything is hunky dory... and it’s not. #HITcast Click To Tweet When you are a hospitalized patient... you are a child again. #HITcast Click To Tweet I said, we help people, and the way we treat them is abuse. #HITcast Click To Tweet
Latest posts by Health Standards (see all)
- [#HITsm chat 11.18.16] Celebrate Passing the #HITsm Torch - November 15, 2016
- [#HITsm chat 11.11.16] Change Management in Health IT - November 8, 2016
- [#HITsm chat 11.04.16] Consumers Shopping for Health Care Online - November 2, 2016