With today’s technology being what it is, patients are more aware than ever of the ways they can contribute to their own healthcare. As the physician who treated the world’s first e-patient, Dr. Danny Sands speaks to us today about patient engagement, participatory medicine and the need to change to a more participation-based model of health care.
Dr. Sands teaches in medical schools, co-founded the Society for Participatory Medicine, is a practicing physician at Harvard Medical School, and is the Chief Medical Officer for both Conversa Health and Kinergy Health. He is also a sought-after speaker. In his downtime, he enjoys running, playing soccer, cooking, playing the piano and more.
During today’s podcast, you’ll hear topics such as:
- What the Society for Participatory Medicine is all about, and how listeners can get involved with this non-profit organization.
- Why today’s technology allows patients to be more active partners in their own healthcare, and how doctors can work with that.
- The importance of patient access to information, and how the OpenNotes movement can help with transparency.
- Dr. Sands’s take on getting patient information from wearables, as well as the benefits of use and disadvantages of relying on them as clinical devices.
- Some of the challenges faced by primary care doctors today, particularly those posed by insurance reimbursements and paperwork.
- How technology helps physicians and patients communicate with each other and achieve better health for patients.
- How to get involved with the Society for Participatory Medicine
Links and Resources:
If you’ve enjoyed today’s podcast, please subscribe on iTunes!
Quotes by Danny:I view participatory medicine as a different way of thinking about healthcare. Click To Tweet To really understand what’s going on, patients really need to look at the doctor’s notes. Click To Tweet Primary care physicians are the cornerstone of an effective, efficient healthcare system. Click To Tweet
Latest posts by Health Standards (see all)
- [#HITsm chat 10.28.16] Top 10 Challenges for Healthcare Executives - October 25, 2016
- [#HITsm chat 10.21.16] Clinician Success Stories with Digital Health - October 18, 2016
- [#HITsm chat 10.14.16] Myths about HIPAA and Innovation - October 12, 2016