Social media is one of the ways that doctors’ offices and hospitals can engage with and market to their patients. Today’s guest, Lee Aase, is the Social Media Network Director at MayoClinic, as well as the chancellor of Social Media University Global (SMUG).
Lee is a pioneer in social media marketing as it pertains to healthcare facilities. He works with hospitals and providers who want to use popular platforms to communicate with and educate their patients. He is also the author of several books, including The Thought Leaders Project: Hospital Marketing and Bringing the Social Media Revolution to Health Care.
Here are some of the topics that you’ll hear about on today’s podcast:
- Why Lee recorded and published a video of his own colonoscopy.
- Common concerns that hospitals used to have about social networking, as well as the questions that come up now that it is more commonly used.
- Some concrete ways that social marketing can assist healthcare facilities in helping their patients.
- Why diagnoses over social networks are not likely to become prevalent. Lee also discusses the difference between practicing medicine via social media vs. using technology to provide telemedicine.
- Lee’s take on various types of social networks that doctors should consider using.
- Tips for healthcare facilities who are new to using social networking platforms.
Links and Resources
Our sponsor CorepointHealth
Lee on Twitter
Lee on LinkedIn
Pitch for Prevention
The Thought Leaders Project
Bringing the Social Media Revolution to Health Care
Video of Lee’s Colonoscopy
SMUG Certification Course
MayoClinic Social Media Networking
If you’ve enjoyed today’s podcast, please subscribe on iTunes!
Quotes by LeeSocial media isn’t a way to practice medicine -- it’s about education #HITcast #hcsm Click To Tweet What’s new now is that anyone can broadcast video to the world. #HITcast #hcsm Click To Tweet
Latest posts by Health Standards (see all)
- Will web APIs and HL7 FHIR change our views on data interoperability? - July 11, 2017
- [#HITsm chat 11.18.16] Celebrate Passing the #HITsm Torch - November 15, 2016
- Passing the #HITsm torch - November 10, 2016