We live in an increasingly digital world, and while healthcare has not been a pioneering industries in the movement toward digital records, it is now catching up. One of the benefits of going digital is that patients who have smartphones and computers can now access their records, which can lead to increased motivation when it comes to having them take charge of their health. In addition, it opens up more communication between doctors and patients, which is good for everyone.
Today’s guest, Lygeia Ricciardi, is passionate about patient-generated health data and patient access to records. She’s the current president of Clear Voice Consulting and the former director of the Office of Consumer E-Health, where she led the Blue Button Initiative. She currently acts as a consultant, helping to raise patient access to health data.
Some of the topics that you’ll hear discussed in our podcast today include:
- What it’s like to work for the ONC vs. working in the private sector.
- The current status of consumer access to health data.
- The ideal use of health data and how it relates to a patient’s awareness of his or her health.
- Lygeia’s thoughts on various digital tools, including the Apple Watch and Fitbit.
- What has changed in health care information access over the past five years.
- The advantages of the government being involved in health care information access, as well as what those in the private sector can do to develop apps and tools to increase the benefits of digital health.
Links and Resources
If you’ve enjoyed today’s podcast, please subscribe on iTunes!
Quotes by LygeiaHealthcare is in the process of going digital.... We’ve seen a radical transformation. #HITcast Click To Tweet 90% of the world’s digital data has been created in the last two years. #HITcast Click To Tweet Be aware of what your niche is, and partner with others to make it work. #HITcast Click To Tweet
Latest posts by Health Standards (see all)
- Will web APIs and HL7 FHIR change our views on data interoperability? - July 11, 2017
- [#HITsm chat 11.18.16] Celebrate Passing the #HITsm Torch - November 15, 2016
- Passing the #HITsm torch - November 10, 2016